the blog of jewelry designer

July 3, 2013

FREEDOM, INDEPENDENCE AND THE 4TH OF JULY


I love Independence Day, and the festivity that comes with our loud, collective declaration of freedom.  And yet, with each passing year, I become more aware that my independence depends completely on how well I take care of the people around me.






I have been deeply touched by working with North Texas Food Bank's Food 4 Kids program these last 3 years - it's a program that provides a backpack full of food every Friday throughout the school year for kids at risk of food insecurity or chronic hunger, all across our region.  I work beside some of the most amazing men and women, and the relationships I've built with them and the children we serve nourish me and feed my freedom. 

Making a difference in the world comes in so many forms.  I know that by exercising my independence - traveling, in yoga and meditation practice, and simply spending time with my favorite people - I am able to offer my best self to my work and community.  

Spending time with my friends and family
Alan Cohen writes in his amazing book,  A Deep Breath of Life:

Your economy is based on love:  the more love you give, the more you have.

He says, "freedom and independence is what defines us, and we must renew our commitment to work together to keep it alive and fresh among us."

My greatest freedom is being able to create whatever I desire.
What a tremendous privilege this is. 


Be strong this Independence Day.  Relish your freedom.

Feel beautiful!
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment