the blog of jewelry designer

June 26, 2012

Butterflies & Ballgowns

Partial image of "Sympathy in White Major - Absolution II," 2006
I took a quick trip over to Tate Modern to see the Damien Hirst exhibit.  I have been a fan of his butterfly canvases, so seeing Sympathy in White Major - Absolution II up-close was amazing.  These particular canvases are always laid out in incredible mosaics of butterflies.  Butterflies symbolize change.  And life is always changing and evolving, as my designs are always changing and evolving.

Crematorium, 1996

Hirst's other works are perhaps a bit over the top for me, as their aesthetic is not necessarily beautiful, but extremely thought-provoking, such as the gigantic ashtray above filled with used cigarette butts, Crematorium.

With the beautiful ladies of Astley Clarke!
A highlight of my trip was visiting with the lovely personal shoppers of Astley Clarke, our retailer in the U.K.

Some of the ballgowns on display at the V&A -- the ballgown in the center image was worn by Princess Diana 
on a state visit to Hong Kong in 1989

A minute's walk from my hotel was the Victoria and Albert Museum's exhibit "British Glamour Since the 1950's". The exhibit opened to celebrate their newly renovated Fashion Galleries, and features sixty jaw-dropping designs worn at social events over the past sixty years. It was inspiring to see these one-of-a-kind couture ballgowns up close, reminding me of the artistic genius behind today's most renowned design houses.

A pectoral disc from the jewelry exhibit, made in Ghana before 1874
I also took a little tour through the jewelry collection at the V&A -- one of the most comprehensive collections in the world, with over 3,000 European jewels from ancient times to the present day.  I only had 1 1/2 hours before the museum closed, and now I must return one day to finish my tour -- there is just so much to see and take in!

My new favorite beverage
I love finding new treasures while traveling -- I was hanging out at my friend Lauren's home in Belgravia, and she offered me this incredible ginger beer by Fever Tree made in the U.K. (non-alcoholic) -- now it's my new favorite drink.  Lucky me -- their website says it is available at Spec's here in Texas.

P.S.  Hope you are all keeping cool -- I'm certainly trying to escape the heat down here in Texas!  Until my next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment