the blog of jewelry designer

September 3, 2010

Doing Good: NCL's Promising Young Women

Last Saturday I spoke to 100+ young girls on behalf of the Dallas Chapter of the National Charity League, a nationwide group of mothers and daughters committed to doing community service work together. The girls range in age from 12 to 18 and do local community service year round at Ronald McDonald House, Operation Kindness Animal Shelter, Meals on Wheels and many other agencies.


During their annual retreat I explained the story and evolution of my business (the fun parts and the not-so-fun parts) and I recounted some intimate details about my recovery from anorexia, and that there are plenty of resources available for help including The Elisa Project in Dallas. It was a fun and attentive group of young women with whom I really connected. The group's theme for the year is "Oh The Places We Will Serve," taken from the Dr. Seuss book.


I expressed to them how service work (which is also the 12th step in 12-step programs) keeps my life and what is most important to me in perspective. And that helping others is a gift that always gives back to the giver.


Girls working on blankets for Operation Kindness Animal Shelter

No comments:

Post a Comment