the blog of jewelry designer

May 9, 2011

Thank you Mom

(Elizabeth and her mom, Jan in 1971)

I drove to my home town on Sunday to celebrate Mother's Day with my parents. We ate yummy fried chicken and butter beans along with cold asparagus and tomato salads - good southern comfort food that reminds me of all my growing up years. I still feel so "at home" in this house in which I spent the first 17 years of my life. I know this has so much to do with the way that my mom has designed each room there...while she still constantly makes changes to the house inside-and-out, I always feel safe and secure there as if nothing has ever changed. She truly knows how to capture our family's essence within the home.


I was 7 years old when my mom started her design business...I remember sitting in the sunporch with her when she was designing her first business card-there was a hand-drawn butterfly on the card-I thought, "my mom is so cool!".



My dad recently sent this photo to me and called it "Days of Hair and Smokin'" (the "hair" reference is due to his slight hair loss in recent years and "smokin" is for the Kool Menthol in my mom's hand - I know my mom would want you to know that the "smokin" ended almost 40 years ago!).

She and my Dad just celebrated their 50th anniversary. WOW! How time flies! They are an example of an incredible partnership to me.

I am so fortunate and grateful to have the mom that I have. I wouldn't be the woman I am if it were not for her. God only knows what career path I would have chosen if I had not had her amazing influence. Most importantly, she has blessed me with strong values of humility, being a good listener, compassion for others, and love. Thank you, Mom!

Check out the fun interview Modern Luxury Dallas did for their May issue with my mom and me! We had such a great time answering all of their questions together.


Until next time....xoxo Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment